Can you believe fall is already in the air? Here in Atlanta the weather has cooled down a notch, the leaves have started to let gravity win the fight and the stores have already put out their Halloween decorations. I look forward to eating outside again next to a warm bonfire, curling up in angora sweaters and, dare I forget, screaming my head off at anyone who dares to beat my football team. Ah…fall…
This kind of weather makes me hoard even more recipes than normal, combining the late summer fruit crops with warm, roasted meats. Yum…turkey…
But the best part about fall are the pumpkin spice lattes. Delish…lattes…
And while I’m sitting here wasting time with my fingers numbly moving over the keyboard and my mind far off daydreaming about this new season…I don’t give up my flipflops that easy. Nope.
I still enjoy a light, quick meal any time of the year. And this broccoli salad definitely fits the qualifications. Oh, and did I mention it has BACON in it???
Your typical broccoli salad includes gobs of mayonnaise and over sweetens it with mounds of sugar. But not this one. We’ve replaced the mayonnaise and sugar with a simple mixture of olive oil, apple cider vinegar and honey, making it perfect for those on a dairy-free paleo diet. It’s a great light, crunchy and flavorful salad for any party.
And did I mention it has BACON?
- 2 large bunches of broccoli
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped (preferably roasted or sprouted)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3 Tbs raw honey
- 2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 strips bacon, cooked, cooled and crumbled (optional, but why?)
- salt to taste
- Prepare bacon by frying in a pan on medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side, done according to how crispy you like it.
- Cut broccoli florets off of each stem and cut into very small pieces. Add to a medium bowl. Chop onion and almonds and add to the bowl. Add raisins to bowl.
- Once cooled, cut bacon into small pieces and add to bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine honey, apple cider vinegar, and olive oil. Whisk together until combined and pour into bowl. Mix all ingredients. Sprinkle with sea salt to your liking.
- Cover salad and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for 30 mins before serving, or overnight.