Our summer days are filled with entertaining our kids, keeping the “I’m bored”s from escaping and getting as much forced rest as possible. We’ve filled our calendar with trips to the pool, excursions to the lake, and walks to the park. But you know what I saw yesterday?
Ads for school supplies.
I mean, really, can’t we have another month of summer like when I grew up?
I vote for school starting after Labor Day, you know, like in the old days (that totally ages me).
So we’re making the most of what time we have left. We’re breaking out the grill.
We’ve been making this Chicken Satay With Pineapple Salsa for a long time now. It’s on a permanent rotation on our menu. Because it’s SO good! This is no wimpy, one-taste dish.
Each element of the dish has it’s own flavor profile that combines to make one delicious meal. It’s sweet and salty, savory and spicy, all in one bite. It dares you to fit all of the elements onto one fork. I dare you.
Only takes a few minutes to grill each skewer so you can quickly get back to your cornhole game or shooting the breeze with your neighbors whom you only see when the weather is warm. Hey, you gotta take advantage of this time cause when the first leaf falls we all go into hibernation.
Just don’t ruin being neighborly when you start fighting for extra helpings of the sweet and spicy sauce.
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 2 tsp ghee or butter
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1 pound chicken breast, cut lengthwise into tenders
- 1 1/2 cup diced pineapple
- 1/3 cup vertically sliced red onion
- 2 Tbs chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbs lime juice
- 1/8 tsp ground red pepper
- Ten minutes ahead of time, soak wooden skewers in water. Let sit in water until ready to use.
- Combine the first three ingredients into a bowl and whisk
- Place ghee or butter, curry powder and chicken in a bowl, toss to coat. Let sit 10 mins.
- While chicken sits, combine pineapple, red onion, cilantro, lime juice and red pepper in a bowl.
- When chicken is ready, thread onto skewers.
- Grill skewers 4 minutes each side on grill or until done and no longer pink inside.
- Serve chicken with soy sauce mixture and pineapple salsa.